Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What coffee?

When I was in a supermarket in Vienna, I noticed the woman in the queue in front of me buying a certain brand of coffee. Gastro Kaffee. I don't know if the word gastro has a different meaning in German, and part of me hopes that it does. On the other hand, if it doesn't have a different meaning, it's an amusing brand of coffee.
To those of you who speak German and/or lived in German-speaking parts of the world, have you encountered Gastro Kaffee before?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. No, I've never seen that, but then I never drink coffee (just as well, by the looks).

"Gastro" here is short for Gastronomie (or gastronomisch), which refers to the food and beverage section of the hospitality industry. No doubt meant to suggest this is the brand the professionals use, or some such