Thursday, January 10, 2008

More Vienna

I had intended on posting more details while in Vienna, but a lack of regular internet access prevented me from doing so, and because I'm slack, it's taken me a few days of being back in Paris with decent net access to finally get around to writing about the rest of my stay there.

So, my second day in Vienna:

I started the day buy wandering along Mariahilferstraße, which is Vienna's main shopping street/district. I went there to buy some blank DVD's, as I'd been told that they're cheaper in any country that isn't spelt "France" because there's a high tax on memory and electronic storage devices here. This was true. About a week before I went to Vienna, I bought a spindle of 10 blank CD's in Paris, and I found that I paid the same for the 10 CD's as was the price in Vienna for 10 blank DVD's. So I bought a spindle of 25 blank DVD's there.
After that, I went to see the Hundertwasserhaus, which I'd seen on my other 2 trips to Vienna too, but it's a cool building and it changes with the seasons, so as I'd seen it in early spring and summer, I was hoping to see it in winter, with a covering of snow, but alas, the snow had melted in that area and it just looked the same as when I saw it on my first visit. It's still impressive and funky though. I went to a small restaurant for lunch near the Hundertwasserhaus where I had difficulty ordering because my German's not too crash hot and the waiter's English was less than perfect, but I managed to order a nice meal in spite of the language barrier (it's actually fairly easy to order food, and I recognise enough food words to order without worrying about the meal). It was fairly obvious from my initial exchange with the waiter that my German isn't my usual method of communication, yet he still offered me a German-language Austrian newspaper to read with my meal, and then got quite embarrassed when he realised why I turned the offer down. The meal was nice though.
In the evening, I went to the cinema with Florian (who had spent the day studying). We saw The Golden Compass. It was okay, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I should have been. Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and other names are associated with this film, and the actors play their parts well, but I felt the direction lacked something. The film also didn't finish, and the last ten minutes or so were spent installing cliffhangers to encourage us to see the inevitable sequel, which annoyed me. I haven't read the book on which the film is based, but I've been told the book/s is/are great.
After the film we went to a small Turkish restaurant for dinner. The food was okay, and it was cheap enough so overall it was a decent experience.

No comments: