Friday, January 04, 2008

Vienna 1

Vienna was cold and windy today, which made it a good day to do indoor sightseeing rather than traipsing round outdoor areas. It also snowed lightly, and there's still a cover of snow over much of the city from the recent snowfalls, so it looks different this time compared to the other two times that I visited this city.

I went to an art gallery this morning in the Museums Quarter called the Leopold Museum. It was interesting, and mostly modernish art, or at least from the early 20th century. There was also an exhibition of photographic from one artist who takes photos of abandoned industrial sites, or industrial ruins, in countries that were formerly behind the Iron curtain, mostly from the old DDR (GDR), but also quite a few from The USSR, Romania, Yugoslavia and Mongolia, and a couple from Poland.

Afterwards I wanted to quickly check my email and find some possible addresses of wifi hotspots in Vienna, this being the city with the highest number of hotspots in the world, apparently. I've found a few addresses, and there's one close to where I'm staying, which is probably what I'll consider using if I want to check it tomorrow, as I don't feel like carrying my computer too far. As a last resort, I guess there's always McDonald's. The net café that I found, which, as far as I can tell, is the only one in the centre, was incredibly expensive – more expensive than the netcafes that I was using in Paris before I got the internet connected in my apartment. It was 1.50E to sit down and then 9 cents a minute thereafter. Eeek. I definitely won't be going back to that café, no matter how much I feel I need to use the net.

I took a few photos on my travels, and rather than insert many of them here, I think I'll bite the bullet and sign up for a flickr account or something. I know people who use flickr and picasa. Which is better? Which should I choose? I don't want both.

1 comment:

lisbeth said...

I don't know picasa... but I have a flickr account. So that gets my vote!