Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mon dernier jour à Vienne

I had planned to visit the Riesenrad (Big Ferris Wheel) at Vienna Prater and the Technical Museum. When I arrived at Prater, I discovered that the Riesenrad was closed for repairs, and the whole Prater was closed for either the winter or renovations or something. I had also slept in and didn't have enough time to justify paying another entry fee for a museum, so I skipped on the Technical Museum. I would have had enough time if I hadn't gone to Prater first.
So, I had some time to walk around Vienna. It wasn't as windy on Monday, so it was quite pleasant to wander around the streets. I found a British/Irish/American supermarket, so I thought I'd wander in and have a look around. Lo and Behold, they stock Irn Bru! Of course, as it had been many moons since my last Irn Bru I had to buy a can. And drink it. Irn Bru, for those who haven't been fortunate enough to try it, is a delicious beverage made in Scotland. I must find a store in Paris that sells it. Lizard, if you need some, I know it's sold in the confectionary store that you walk past in the ANZAC Arcade on the way up to Central Station.
Now, if only the supermaket in Vienna sold deep-fried Mars bars too...
I then met Florian for a late lunch in a cheap student eatery. The food was good, though the "vanilla" dessert turned out to be "strawberry" - some horrid false advertising (only a choice of one dessert - fixed/set menu thing).
After lunch it was time for me to head to the airport (Flughafen Wien) and from there head back to Paris. The airport was fine, though they really need to do something about the advertised free wifi access - it kept dropping out, giving me a poor signal, etc... to the point where I just gave up as it kept timing out in google and gmail.
The flight landed in Paris, about 15mins later than scheduled, and I returned to my apartment and went back to work on Wednesday. I prefer being a tourist.

1 comment:

IdeaLiza said...

Hmmm, can't say Irn Bru is something I've had a craving for....