Thursday, January 10, 2008

Vienna, Saturday the 5th of Jan

We slept in and had a lazy morning on Saturday.
At about 1pm we headed out to a palace/museum thing called Belvedere. I didn't go into the museum part, but the buildings and grounds were interesting. The grounds, of course, would be more impressive in warmer months as the ponds are emptied and groundskeeping work is carried out during winter.
After the Belvedere, we went to an Austrian restaurant for lunch and I had a Wiener schnitzel, as I was in Wien and really had no choice in the matter. It wasn't a cheap restaurant, though not overly expensive either, and the food was great. The waitress was a bit rude, so I didn't tip her. Okay, so I didn't tip her because I don't tip, but even if I were a person inclined to tipping (which seems to be the norm in Austria) I still wouldn't have tipped her.
In the evening we went to see an Opera at the Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna State Opera). We saw an opera called Werther. The performance was great and the Oper is an amazingly beautiful building. Plus it was cheap - only 3€50 for a ticket, as we opted for the standing area. It's cheaper than going to the cinema, and Werther was much better than The Golden Compass.

No comments: