Saturday, February 02, 2008

Lecteur MP4

At the polyglot meeting I went to the other night, my mp4 player jumped out of my coat pocket and made its way, thanks mostly to gravity, to the floor. I didn't see it happen, as my coat was draped over the back of my chair, but another polyglot saw it on the ground and asked me if it was mine. I promptly put it in my backpack and thought nothing of the incident.
The next morning when I tried to use it on my journey to work, it displayed a bright white screen rather than the usual welcome message, and then went no further. It seems I have "white screen of death" with the mp4's software. I haven't had a chance to examine it internally, but I noticed that the play button doesn't seem to move adequately when pressed, so I've started to suspect that maybe it was found by someone after being in the middle of a "shoe-floor" sandwich.
I hope I can make it work again, as I've become accustomed to listening to music on my travels and I don't want to shell out the cash for another player. Also, I've only had this player for a couple of months due to France's irritating customs control - this player's too young to die!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't it be under warrenty?

Sean said...

Yes, it should still be under warranty, but I don't think the warranty covers "dropping" or "being stepped on" and I think one or both of those is/are the reason.

Plus, I had hassles with French customs when I had it sent to me because the original one didn't work, as the company's in Hong Kong. It was a cheap player, but good enough for what I used it for, so I'd like it to work again, but it's not worth the trouble of sending it back to Hong Kong and having it returned to me etc...