Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cats and César

There are cats in my building. I've been living here since the fifteenth of September and I've only just seen them for the first time. I think they belong to the people who own or run one of the restaurants at the bottom of the building. I haven't worked out which one they run yet, because I haven't bothered trying. I hope they run "Le Chat Noir" because both cats are black. I saw them because I heard a noise coming from the small light well that my kitchen window opens into, and when I leant over and looked down, there were two cats and three trays of fruit and vegies on the window sill of the 1st floor apartment.

Last night was the 33rd César Awards Cérémonie. The Césars are the awards for French film and television (télévision, in French). Some people won some prizes and others didn't. I didn't pay enough attention so I can't tell you what the outcome was, even if you were interested. The reasons I mention this event is because the ceremony is held in Theatre du Chatelet, which is next door to the group of buildings that I live in, so I went out to see if anything interesting was happening. I missed the arrivals of all the stars because I was eating and finished dinner before I went down, so I only saw a few spectators, some organisers, press, and truckloads of police. A homeless man (well, he didn't look clean, smelt a bit and had bad teeth) told me that he thought the ceremony was ridiculous and that people shouldn't pay attention to it. He said a lot of other things too, but he mumbled and I haven't learnt the art of understanding French mumble yet. I didn't ask him why he was there, obviously paying attention to it.
I took some photos of the outside, and they can be found here.

3 comments:

David Barry said...

There are awards for French television? Best game show host, best sports coverage, best news... but anything fictional is American, as far as I can tell, except for Rex.

Anonymous said...

The cats wouldn't be as cute as Sephie though!

Sean said...

Quite right, they both looked a bit like strays. Or at least vaguely gross.