Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Careers Expo

There was an Engineering-specific careers expo at uni today, so I went along to check it out just out of curiosity to see what was available. Unfortunately, the expo was smaller than I'd hoped and there wasn't a huge variety of companies there to talk to. Especially not when you removed the companies that only wanted mining and/or chemical engineers (several petroleum and mining companies).
Other than that, there were a few to talk to who were interested in hiring electrical engineers, but the number of companies that I'd be willing to work for was significantly lower as most of the companies looking for electrical engineers were involved with either destroying the planet, destroying people, or both. I don't want to work for a company that thinks coal is the way forward, nor do I want to work for a company where my best work would be related to the number of people it could efficiently kill. Because of this, the expo was a little disappointing, but I know that there are lots and lots of companies around, and those present today represented just a small fraction of what's on offer.

No comments: