Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My poor phone

I have only had my phone for a matter of mere weeks, but the first drop was bound to come sooner or later.
Yes, I dropped my phone at uni yesterday while I was extricating it from my pocket in order to read a text message that I'd received. It only dropped from a height of my pocket, so while I was annoyed at dropping it and I noticed that there were a few marks on the top caused by the fall, I was under the impression that it hadn't adversely affected its operation. I used it to send text messages and I tested the gps system while still at uni, and then connected via wifi to the net after I got home.

However, this morning I replied to a text message which I hadn't noticed receiving last night and about 5 minutes after sending it, my phone switched itself off. It still had about a third of the battery power remaining, so I thought that it was odd. Even odder, when I tried to switch it back on, it flatly refused to do so - the power button seems to have been damaged at some point. This issue has remarkably reduced the functionality of my phone, as I'm sure you can understand, and to have a phone today, I was forced to revert to my old one.

This is frustrating for many reasons, not least because it's the first time I've ever had a phone of any significant value - all my previous phones were either absolute bottom of the range, or second to bottom of the range, and I dropped all of them countless times, some of them even down flights of stairs, and it never resulted in anything more than a scratch or dent in the casing. So now I'm faced with an expensive almost-brandnew phone that doesn't work because of a small tumble. Is it Nokia's policy now to make phones that are so incredibly weak? All but one of my previous phones were Nokias and they were strong. Maybe it's only the expensive "quality" range that is weak. Or maybe I should have stuck with Sony Ericssons, like my most recent handset.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Get a case - even my clear plastic case, which doesn't look like it would provide any shock protection whatsoever, seems to do a lot to protect it, and my phone has survived many, many falls.
Meanwhile, take it to a service place and see if there's anything they can do.