Thursday, November 19, 2009

DVD's

I went DVD browsing today because I was recently given some gift vouchers to celebrate an integer number of times that the earth has passed around the sun since the day I was born. I spent most of my time looking in the foreign films section of a well-known electronics, music and DVD store. I'd like to purchase some DVD's to add to my collection, but I'm not sure what I should get. I saw The Lemon Tree for just under $30, which is a film that I really enjoyed when I saw it at the cinema, and while it's definitely a film that I'd like to own, I'm not sure if it's one that I'd watch over and over again, which kind of defeats the purpose of owning it, other than just having it in my collection. It's one that I'd recommend and lend to friends though, because I think other people would like it. As for an English language film, I've often considered buying Little Miss Sunshine, though I know other people who own this film already, so I could feasibly borrow it whenever the mood to watch it struck. Other films that I'd like to buy, but which weren't in stock at the particular store where I was browsing include La Double Vie de Veronique (directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski, who also directed Les Trois Couleurs), The Lives of Others, and Goodbye Lenin*. Are there any other good films out there that I should buy but that I've forgotten about? I'm sure I've seen some movies in the past few years that I've wanted to buy, but that I've forgotten about now. Suggestions welcome.

*For some reason, I thought I already owned this one, but it's not in my collection.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I've purchased Juno, and I plan to buy Little Miss Sunshine, but I'm still open to other suggestions to add to my collection.