Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Australian Shop

I decided earlier today to find the Australian Shop (which also sells some NZ stuff) that I'd been told about. I'd only been given a general area, but I found the shop without any difficulties. There were lots of souveniry things for sale and some food. I could have bought TimTams (original, for 5euro a packet), Marmite (though they'd sold out of Vegemite), or some macadamia things. Not a single molecule of Milo to be found, which was my main reason for hunting down this place. My Milo's almost run out and I need some more. I asked the shopkeeper if they had any Milo, and, being French, he didn't know what I was talking about, so I described it to him and informed him that it was just as important as Vegemite, if not more. He surprised me by telling me that, of all the Australians who have visited his shop, none had ever mentioned Milo before. The last revelation surprised me more than the fact that they had no Milo in stock.
I may have convinced him to order some Milo, but, like everything else in the shop, it'll probably cost an arm and a leg.

3 comments:

David Barry said...

I would just like to say that Vegemite is at least a zillion times more important than Milo.

Sean said...

Well, for me, Milo is more important than Vegemite, though it's more fun to feed Vegemite to French people.

Also, Vegemite is available in travel tubes and is easier to have posted from Australia, whereas Milo is quite a heavy item and therefore expensive to post.

Kat said...

I dreamt the other night that someone gave me half a medium sized jar of vegemite...
Luckily I have found marmite and american milo here, hey! While neither are exactly right, they are both damn good subsitutes for the real thing.