Saturday, March 03, 2007

Notebook Computer

I want to buy a new notebook computer (the style of computer known as laptops before stupid people started burning their laps and private bits with them).
I have fairly basic requirements, which I'll list below, so if anyone has opinions for or against various brands or deals, please let me know, as I'm open to suggestions.

My requirements:
1. They usually supply windows as part of the deal, and I'd prefer windows xp as I neither need nor want vista.
2. Lightweight, as I need to carry it around and take it o/s.
3. SD card slot.
4. Wireless.
5. Built-in webcam would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.
6. Decent sized hard drive - at least 60GB, preferably 80GB or more.
7. Screen size - I don't want a huge screen as I want this to be portable and part of that includes size as well as weight, but on the other hand, I don't want to use something the size of a digital wristwatch display.
8. Sturdy - I'll definitely look after my notebook, but I'd like the reassurance of knowing that it would survive a knock or two.
9. DVD burner
10. At least 4USB ports (though I could survive with 2)

I think that's the list, or at least I can't think of anything else to add at the moment. I'll edit if things come to mind, or if people suggest useful and/or important extras.

I've noticed on a few websites that several notebooks no longer come with PCMCIA card slots; Are they necessary or are these slots becoming a bit obsolete?

1 comment:

Esonlinji said...

I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend, but I recently got a macbook which except for windows and the SD reader (I'm sure you can get a usb based one) has pretty much everything you want and is a very nice machine.