Sunday, February 25, 2007

In Melbourne

I'm in Melbourne. The flight down here was horrid, due to two small children competing for the title of Loudest Crying Child. I also made the mistake of flying into Melbourne's Avalon airport, which is almost in Geelong. I should have listened to Mark's advice (he told me to avoid Avalon).

I'm enjoying Melbourne so far. Yesterday we went to the Victoria Markets, which are exactly as I remembered them from when I went in 1992. Then we went to Federation Square to see the Australian Centre for the Moving Image. It was interesting, though a large part was closed in order to install a new exhibition. Last night Mark, Nathaniel and I had dinner in an Italian restaurant called La Porchetta, which was near Lygon Street followed by a trip to a pub with live music. I noticed that Melbourne doesn't have the same anti-smoking laws as Brisbane, and cigarette smoke is still plentiful in these places, which is rather annoying. I quite like the Brisbane system of being able to breathe inside pubs, but apparently some version of this law will be introduced in Melbourne in the near future.

Today we'll probably go to St Kilda and then do other stuff.

3 comments:

Aggie said...

Non-smokers die every day.

Sean said...

True, but smokers die every day as well, and on average they're younger.

My point wasn't actually about the damage to my health as much as the smell. I don't think I had enough exposure on Saturday night to adversely affect my health. The smell, though, is a different story; my clothes reeked afterwards. It's funny, most smokers will use deodorant and perfume just like most normal people, but then they'll light up and mask whatever scent they're wearing with the putrid smell of burnt tobacco.

David Barry said...

Yeah. I don't really care about the health problems caused by tobacco (though I guess it'd cost society less if no-one smoked, but you'd have more older people to care for), it's just that I want to breathe air that smells like air.