Thursday, April 03, 2008

02-04-08

Today's date is a geometric progression! Exciting! I noticed this fact because I had four classes today, which meant writing the date down 8 times (I need to write it twice for each class, once on the attendance sheet and once on the lesson plan sheet).
It's the only day this year that will be one, so it should be a bit special. The next one will be the first of March next year (01-03-09).

Today started off annoyingly, in spite of it being a geometric progression. I left home at the right time to allow 20 mins at the other end to have my regular hot chocolate and brioche for breakfast. This is a bit of a habit for me now when I go to Meudon-La-Forêt. This morning, however, there was a traffic jam on the RN118 (the highway between Sèvres and Meudon) and so I didn't arrive until about 10 mins before my first lesson, and there was a queue in the Brioche Dorée, which frustrated me even more. The next annoyance came when I got to the front of the queue to be told that they'd sold out of brioche. I chose a croissant instead, but it's just not the same. After that, I went across the road, with about 5 mins to spare, only to wait in the reception area for 15 mins while the receptionist tried to find a room for me for the day. I understand that they're busy and have a room shortage, but there's an English teacher there every day of the week, for the same timeslot each day, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise when we arrive, and so, I feel, they should have had enough warning to organise a room.
Anyway, one of the students from the first class turned up at reception to find out where the classroom was as well, and that really meant that I didn't get enough time to have breakfast. After finally being found a room, I decided to leave the croissant until later because they're a bit messy to eat, and just drank my hot chocolate. Things picked up after that, and the rest of the day was okay. I'd like to say that the day became exponentially more enjoyable, but I don't think this was truly the case, and I don't think there's a reliable way to quantitatively measure it.

2 comments:

David Barry said...

I'd like to say that the day became exponentially more enjoyable, but I don't think this was truly the case, and I don't think there's a reliable way to quantitatively measure it.
There should be. Relative to some horrible base level of enjoyment, how much money would you be willing to spend to have the amount of enjoyment you did in the morning, and how much for what happened later?

Sean said...

Possibly, though I don't think money is an accurate way to measure it. It's still a very subjective medium.