Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Monument & Wimbledon

I'm on the train now.

While in London, I climbed the stairs to the top of The Monument. As far as I can tell, that's its official name. It's the monument to the London fire, and its height is the distance from the base to the point were the fire started. I can't remember exactly how tall it is, but it's 311 stairs to the top. I received a certificate to prove that I managed to make it all the way to the top. The view was nice from the top and I took some photos, but I wish they'd equipped the viewing balcony with thicker, solid posts so that I wouldn't imagine plummeting to my grisly death.
For those in London, it's located near the tube station called 'monument'.

I spent yesterday afternoon at Wimbledon, a part of London I'd never been to before. It seems like a nice area. We went to an all-you-can-eat Indian, Chinese, Thai, and Italian restaurant. Quite a combination of cuisines! The place was run by Indians and, unsurprisingly, the Indian section was the best.
I saw quite a lot of the common from a balcony on the 12th floor, but I was unable to spot any Wombles.

No comments: