Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Prawn paste perhaps?

I went to a cafe at the weekend with some friends and we ordered a dip platter to share. These were tasty, and we were certain that the pink one contained roe and only roe, as far as animal matter was concerned. I should have asked the staff to confirm this, but didn't, and foolishly tried some of it. It was delicious, and I only ate a small amount, but there must have been some shellfish in the dip. I can point to the general discomfort and stomach cramps that I suffered on Saturday night and Sunday morning as experimental proof of this. I'm feeling back to normal now, but even yesterday, I felt as though I'd pulled a muscle in my lower abdomen. It seems like my reaction to shellfish is getting worse and worse; gone are the days when I could have tried just a little to test the taste and not feel too uncomfortable afterwards.

I wish I could swap this food intolerance for an intolerance to a food that I don't like to eat.

No comments: