Monday, December 20, 2010

GOMA

I went to GOMA yesterday, as well as one of the exhibitions in the old art gallery next to GOMA. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the exhibitions and wish I had time over the next few days to go again. My favourite piece of art from my very first visit to GOMA was back - the infinity room. Last time I went there they had removed it for a special exhibit, which was good, but I missed the room.
One of the amazing temporary exhibits there yesterday was a room full of finches flying between perches suspended from piano wire which in turn was connected to an amplifier. I spent quite a long time in the finch room, and highly recommend the experience to everyone. The sounds from the perches combined with the finches' chirping needs to be heard rather than described.
In another room, the Jungle Book was playing, with each different character speaking a different language. The small kid spoke Spanish, the bear spoke Hebrew, the puma Arabic, and German, French and Greek were spoken by some of the elephants, etc. I liked it, and I found the concept interesting because each character spoke his/her own language but obviously understood what the others were all saying. My only criticism of this installation was that the volume was a bit low, which made it difficult to hear what they were saying, and so it wasn't initially obvious to hear that they were all speaking different languages.
I was amused by the video of a McDonald's store being flooded, and by the Chinese convenience store. The slippery slides were a bit of fun, but very bumpy.

No comments: