Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I have voted

I made the trek to the Australian Embassy this morning to cast my vote in this year's federal election. I say "trek" because with the strike I had to walk (briskly) for about 30 mins, from La Place de la Madeleine to the Embassy, which is almost next to the Eiffel Tower. A walk of over 4km. In drizzling almost-rain.

But I did my civic duty, so I hope that my vote contributes to the eviction of that horrible little creature currently running the Australian government. And if not, I just won't return to Australia for while.

Note: As you can imagine, being next to the Eiffel Tower means that the public transport to that area is quite good. This is true, except on days when the silly unions at the RATP and SNCF are on strike.

Note 2: The link above to the map of the trek doesn't seem to work, so I'll leave it there for the time being to remind myself to try to fix it, but in the meantime, if you want to see the path, go to maporama and put the following addresses into the "itinery" box:
1.
country: France
address: La Place de la Madeleine
city: Paris
2.
country: France
address: 4 rue Jean Rey
postcode: 75724
city: Paris

3 comments:

David Barry said...

I'll be voting in Paris on Friday. I didn't use the métro on my first visit there, wanting to walk around above ground. I had been wondering if I should catch métros this time, but it's looking like I might not get that choice.

Sean said...

Dave,
The métro is running fairly well at the moment - basically a lot of people have come off strike because they can't afford to stay on strike as they don't get paid.

Of course, it might be nicer to walk anyway, depending on the weather.

Do you have to come to Paris to vote? Is it not possible in Le Mans or that area?

David Barry said...

The Embassy's the only place in France I can vote. I could have applied for a postal vote, but for that I would have needed an Australian witness, and I don't know any Australians in Le Mans, so I would have been in Paris anyway.

And I'll take any excuse to visit Paris.