Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cas d'Affluence!

This is a photo from the metro station near my apartment (Chatêlet).



This is the section where the paths to the various lines diverge, and it's still a bit of a walk to the actual platform. The people here weren't moving significantly, and I tried to get to line 1, which is through the people and to the right, and I got through the first crowd, but then discovered another, equally large crowd some distance from line 1's platform, which would have meant a wait of about an hour, or at least half an hour, by which time I'd be late for my first lesson.

So I decided to walk to the next metro stop on the line (Louvre-Rivoli), which was also incredibly crowded. The next station (Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre) was also full of people, and so I decided to walk, as I only needed to get to Charles de Gaulle-Étoile. It also means that I now know that I can walk from my apartment to Étoile in about 35mins if I hurry and walk quickly.

6 comments:

Kat said...

Wold it take even less than 35 minutes if you didn't stop at each metro station along the way?

Sean said...

Ummm... probably not.
I made only very quick forays into the metro stations to check the state of the "Affluence" and outside I walked very briskly, as I had a time by which I needed to arrive. At my normal walking pace it would probably take 45mins.

David Barry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Barry said...

I'm glad you're rich, and I hope you weren't using strap-ons.

Sean said...

No, there were not strap-ons in the near vicinity, as far as I know, so I didn't violate the cas d'affluence rule.

And I feel richer than I should at the moment because my landlady hasn't banked my rental check yet this month.

Anonymous said...

You're Australian! Aren't you supposed to be jumping along on their heads and shoulders??
(am hoping that this comment does not make me sound old)
(and of course you are probably categorised as Irish at the moment anyway)