Saturday, January 06, 2007

Plans for this year

I have decided that I want to go to England or Ireland this year for a summer job at a school over there, probably in late June, July or August. My preference would be in England, at the school that Kat's going to be working at in July. It would also be a good chance to visit Edinburgh while I'm in England, and perhaps hop over the Irish Sea to Ireland.

The job that I'd prefer in England would pay enough to cover at least most of a return airfare to Europe, as well as provide accommodation and meals. This, I feel, would be a great opportunity to realise my plan of living in France, as I'd be able to cross La Manche without too much difficulty and then hunt for a job there. Most of the ESL industry in France hasn't heard of the idea of using the internet to advertise jobs, and those that have usually stipulate that the applicant must be available in France for a face-to-face interview and/or an immediate start, which is difficult for one applying from Australia, and as I feel the biggest, or most wasted, expense in getting to France is the cost of the airfare, and as this would be covered by my earnings from the English job, I think it's a great chance for me. So, if all goes according to plan, I will be in England in July, travelling around England (inc Scotland) and Ireland (maybe) in August, and then in France from August or September through to whenever I leave.

I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing a one-way ticket, for two main reasons. The first is that, at the moment, return tickets don't appear to be significantly cheaper than two one-way tickets, and this would mean I wouldn't have to specify my departure airline and airport in advance. The second reason is that I would be able to keep my options open as far as staying longer in Europe, or going somewhere else, ie Japan, for a short-term job on the "way home".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you might finally grace with your presence the country that issued you a passport - I'm sure they'll be excited to see you.