Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Komputer Działa!!

I think I may have fixed my computer. If you can read Polish, then you'd know that I was having computer problems, but a little help from google sent me in the right direction and the computer seems to be working. The problem was that a file was corrupt or missing, and as it was a rather important file, the computer refused to boot. I copied the back-up version of the file from a secret folder that I didn't realise existed, and now the computer seems to be operating as well as it used to. After booting, I attempted to run a virus check, but my virus software is faulty, which I suspect was the cause of the problem, a theory supported by Liam's girlfriend whose computer had a similar problem when her identical virus scanner screwed up.

I've been using a programme called AVG, and I've found it good up until now, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone out there on the interweb has experience with other, preferably better, virus scanners. I prefer my software to be of the "free" variety.

2 comments:

Kat said...

have you tried Avast? I use it, and so far I haven't had any problems. You just have to cope with an american accent saying "Avast Virus Database has been UPdated" every now and then. Although, come to think of it, mine hasn't done that lately. I probably should look into that...
Anyway, it's free to downlaod, and came recommended by Ralph, who also uses it, which makes it good enough for me.
(If AVG stands for Avast Virus Getter, please disregard this advice!)

Sean said...

I've downloaded and installed Avast. I understand exactly what you mean about the chap with the american accent informing me whenever something happens. It appears to be okay at the moment, but it seems to take up a significant amount of processor time when checking email messages, when downloaded with Thunderbird.