Monday, July 10, 2006

Help with windows' nosy character.

Does anyone out there know how to tell windows to permanently* stop configuring my wireless networks?

The last wireless network (aside from the network here) with which my computer was required to liaise required windows to configure my wireless networks. The problem now is that my home network requires windows to stop configuring and mind its own fucking business, but windows persists in reverting back to the interfering mode every time I start my computer. It's not such a big problem, but it is annoying to have to change the settings each and every time I start or restart my computer.

* I know that technically I just split that infinitive, but I don't believe it's the terrible sin that some do.

3 comments:

David Barry said...

I don't notice split infinitives. Unfortunately I haven't been able to quickly dig up some examples from the 19th century and earlier. Anyway, it's existed for a long time and shouldn't be remarked upon.

Sean said...

David, you have split an infinitive yourself: "to quickly dig"

Secondly, I couldn't be bothered writing my argument against the spilt infinitives being a problem, but the short version is that people who think that splitting infinitives in English is a crime are those who believe that English is a Latin-based language (it being impossible to split infinitives in Latin and other Latin-based languages). However, English is not Latin-based, only Latin-influenced. It's influenced more by Germanic and Nordic languages in which is it acceptable to split infinitives. In fact, in Swedish, you sometimes add the adverb as a prefix to the second half of the infinitive.

David Barry said...

David, you have split an infinitive yourself
AND I ended a sentence with a preposition!

It's influenced more by Germanic and Nordic languages
I would say rather that English is a Germanic language, not just "influenced more".