Sunday, February 19, 2006

Jestem w Bielsku-Bialej

I currently in Bielsko-Biala, writing this post from Nicola's computer (Komputer Nicoli). I have quite a few photos from the town, but they're all on my camera and will have to wait until I'm at home to be downloaded.

I went to a restaurant last night for dinner with Nicola and some of her friends. The food was delicious, and well-presented, so of course I took photos of some of the meals. :-)

The twin-town of Bielsko and Biala is smallish. The population is slightly less than Gliwice's, but it seems a little bigger, either because I know Gliwice better or because Bielsko-Biala is not so close to Katowice and other surrounding towns that it appears dwarfed by them. Perhaps a bit of both.

The name of the town comes from the names of two separate towns, Bielsko and Biala, which were/are separated by the Biala river. The river once formed part of the border between Austria and Poland, and Bielsko was in Austria while Biala was in Poland. Now they're both in Poland, and connected by a few bridges.

The town has a much nicer setting than Gliwice because it is next to the mountains, and from many places in the city you can see the snow-covered peaks, whereas Gliwice is flat, in a very flat area, so there isn't anything interesting to look at in the distance.

No comments: