Saturday, December 03, 2005

Post and Christmas

It's been a while since my last post containing anything interesting, but I haven't done anything interested or blog-worthy for a while. Lately I've been working, eating, and checking the mailbox for signs of life from the postal service here. I normally only check the letterbox once every few days, but I'm expecting the arrival of two packages from two different places around the world - one from Australia and one from Scotland. The last package that I received arrived a month after it was posted in Australia, so I'm starting to seriously believe that the Polish postal service (Poczta Polska) consists of little more than a sick donkey. I don't wish to be presumptuous, but if anyone is considering sending me anything in the mail, refrain from doing so and save yourself the postage money because at this rate, it's likely to arrive after I've left the country.

On a positive note, I went for a short walk around the town centre last night, for the first time in a few days and noticed that there are Christmas decorations everywhere, lights hung from the buildings and over the tram lines. Overall it's quite impressive, and really stands out from the grey/white landscape. It's beginning to look like the Christmas we Australians know only from Christmas cards and movies. Apparently some people around the world don't spend Christmas day in the pool or air-conditioned rooms. :-)
Also, Santa Claus visits people here on the 6th of December, so that's when children receive presents. Of course, more presents are handed out on the 24th or 25th too, so the kids here get two 'Christmas' days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One month waiting for a package is not bad for Poczta Polska if you compare it with my 4 month waiting for a package here in Brisbane-the 3rd city in Australia.
Gooood Job Poland! :)

Sean said...

That's true, you were waiting a bit longer, but your package was sent by seamail and mine was sent by airmail.

On a positive note, the package from Australia arrived yesterday (thanks Angie & Michael), on the 6th of December, after being posted on the 31st of October. That's ridiculously long for airmail.