Thursday, October 13, 2005

Beginners

I just had my first lesson with absolute beginners tonight. This was their 4th English lesson, so their 4th 80min class. I have taught pre-intermediate kids and adults before, but this was a new experience. It's the most demanding class because it requires a lot of effort from the teacher, so I'm extremely tired this evening. But I noticed an improvement, so I must have done something right.

The most tiring class from a behavioural perspective is the class of 12 (perhaps) year old boys, four of them. They fight, and take each other's belongings all through the class, so it's hard to get them to focus on anything. Myself and another teacher refer to them as the "little monsters." This other teacher, who is called Emily, told me that this class has completely changed her opinion on children, in that previously she wanted to have kids, but now she wants to remain childless for her entire life. I know what she means. These kids are definitely an incentive to use contraception.

No comments: