Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Social Media Exhaustion

I joined another social media site today. I think I'm going to drown in a sea of social media soon. I've got profiles on Facebook, Google+, Diaspora, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogger, and now Path. I technically also have a profile on Foursquare, but I'm ignoring that one now as it seems pointless (why use a third-party program to publish details of check-ins to Facebook when I can do that directly?). I've never had a Myspace page, and never plan to.
Several years ago, when Twitter was new and fresh, I decided I didn't want to join because I didn't see a need for it. I regret that decision now because I have joined, and my preferred usernames were taken, which may not have been the case had I joined all those years ago. I joined it mainly for the puns, but I've stayed for the made-up stats, random trivia, and useless banalities.
I hope there aren't any new social media on the horizon. I don't know how I'd keep up with it all.

No comments: