Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Make them stop!

I can't wait until Sunday, as Sunday is the day immediately after Australia's federal election. This means the horrid election campaign advertisements will cease constantly irritating me. I understand that each party wants to get its point and policies across, but I know who I'm going to vote for and therefore don't need to be tormented by these ghastly ads.
Also, a variation on what I said before the last federal election stands, when I said that I wouldn't return to Australia while Howard was still running things. This time I don't have quite the same level of choice because of my uni course, but having the Liberals* in power will speed up my departure from these shores.

* the Liberals are anything but liberal in their political views (for those unfamiliar with the misleading name of this political party)

2 comments:

nat said...

I seriously know what you mean - as far as I'm concerned, this election campaign has been going for about three weeks too long, at this point... but hang in there: apparently political advertising on TV has to stop from midnight tonight.
I just wish they would extend that ban to the whole week before the election, like they do in some other countries.

Kat said...

I'm pretty sick of it, and I probably am only subjected to about 1% of what you get!
And I have to say, while a Lib government will definitely not increase my chances of returning to Aus in the near future, Labour doesn't look like it's going to entice me back either...
AND I failed to find another aussie here (heard about the walkabout pub too late!), so you can all blame me when the greens don't get that extra senate seat.