Saturday, May 13, 2006

A new and exciting phrase

I spent Thursday evening with Kat and Amanda. During the course of the evening, it emerged that Amanda knows two phrases in Klingon: "What" and "Where's the chocolate?". Given that the second of these phrases is vitally important, I have decided to start collecting it in as many languages as possible, in a similar vein to my hovercraft phrase collection. Unlike the hovercraft phrase, I don't think I will encounter the same difficulties while searching for the chocolate phrase, as many people I asked queried "what is a hovercraft?" and/or "what are eels?". Most people know what chocolate is.

I can supply three versions immediately:
Where's the chocolate? (English)
Gdzie jest czekolade? (Polish)
Où est le chocolat? (French)

If you can supply other languages (or correct any given versions) please leave a comment.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Çikolata nerede?
Dov’è il cioccolato?
¿Dónde está el chocolate? (not sure of this one – remember I don’t actually speak Spanish)
Unde ciocolată (Or romanian)
Onde está o chocolate? (nb: I don’t speak Portuguese either)
Wo ist die Schokolade?
Qiăo kè lì zai nar? (Spelling? Does it matter if it’s only in pinyin anyway?)

How's that?

Sean said...

Thanks Kat.
Where are the legions of other polyglots who frequent my site?