Thursday, June 30, 2005

Jadę do Tychów

I have to go to Tychy to teach today. I've been travelling there once a week since I arrived in Poland (except for one or two weeks when the Thursday was a public holiday). I don't mind the class there, the students are interesting, friendly and definitely motivated, but I really despise the travel required. One hour on an overcrowded bus each way, with a 40min wait after my class to catch this bus. The bus only runs once per hour and is always excessively overcrowded. Logically, one would think that this would give the bus company the hint that maybe running the bus every half hour would be a wise thing to do, but no, logic hasn't prevailed. Lately the bus trip has been lengthened by roadworks occurring on the road between Gliwice and Mikołów, which has meant that the bus has had to wait for up to 10mins to be allowed to go through. This is frustrating for me because it means firstly that I have to spend extra time in the overcrowded bus, and secondly that I have to hurry at the other end in order to be on time for my class.

Oh how I long for a public transport system like those in Vienna or Berlin...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear where you were teaching. I taught English too, in Mikolow (II Liceum Ogolnoksztalcace), 1999-2001. I used to take the Mikolow-Gliwice bus every weekend to visit a friend there. The bus to Katowice bus was a bit better, but the train was best (esp since I got a bilet nauczycielski - discount)